Why implement a nationwide SIM upgrade during this festive period, with two weeks timeframe, when Christians are grappling with Christmas festivities?
Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) have directed GSM Network operators to require ALL their subscribers to provide valid National Identification Number (NIN) to update SIM registration records.
The submission of NIN by subscribers to take place within two weeks, December 16, 2020 to 30 December, 2020. After the deadline, ALL SIMs without NINs are to be blocked from the networks.
The world over, there are different forms of identification and no one is forced to hold a particular form of identification. In Nigeria, the common forms of identification are: International Passport, which is universally accepted; Driver’s Licence; and INEC Voter’s Card. If NCC is of the view that International Passport, Driver’s Licence, and INEC Voter’s Card are not valid forms of identification, then we need to question the soundness of mind of our national policy/decision makers.
The big questions are;
- Why can’t the relevant Government Commissions and Agencies Migrate all the various forms of Identification into one Database for ease of access?
- What is the rationale for Forcing all Nigerians to have the National Identification Number, when majority already have other forms of Identification, such as, International Passport, Driver’s Licence, and INEC Voter’s Card?
- How long does it take to process a National Identification Number?
- What is the cost of getting a National Identification Number?
- Why is it always about revenue generation?
Does this have any connectivity with the planned 5G project?
- And if not, why now that the enforcement of the newly discovered COVID 19 VACCINE is about to commence worldwide?
God save our Country- NIGERIA.
Dr. Brown Aduku (Brownsugar).