Afrobeats star David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has urged United States President Donald Trump and the international community to pay close attention to the security situation in Osun State ahead of Saturday’s governorship election.
The singer made the appeal on Tuesday amid growing concerns over political violence, alleged intimidation and attacks linked to the August 15 election. He called for a peaceful and transparent electoral process, stressing that residents should be able to vote without fear.
“President Donald Trump, I am calling your attention to the situation in Osun State, Nigeria, as we approach the election,” Davido said in a statement.
According to him, the rising tension in the state could threaten the democratic process if urgent measures are not taken.
“Osun people deserve to exercise their constitutional right to vote freely, peacefully, and without fear,” he added.
Davido further appealed to the United States and other members of the international community to monitor developments in the state closely.
“We do not want bloodshed. We do not want intimidation. We want peace, transparency, and a free and fair election,” he said.
The August 15 election is expected to feature 14 political parties, while security agencies are preparing to deploy thousands of personnel across the state. About 15,000 police officers are expected to provide security, alongside 10,000 personnel from the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps.
The election is also politically significant for Davido, as the incumbent governor, Ademola Adeleke, is his relative and is seeking another term in office.
Tension has increased in the state in the weeks leading up to the election. The police recently opened an investigation into an attack on officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission in Odo-Otin Local Government Area, where hoodlums reportedly seized Permanent Voter Cards.
Separately, the Campaign for Democracy Human Rights Advocacy Civil Society Coalition in Niger State called on the Federal Government and relevant agencies to ensure that the election is peaceful, credible and free from violence.
Governor Adeleke has also warned against any attempt to manipulate the outcome of the election, saying Osun residents would turn out in large numbers to vote and protect their ballots.
Speaking to supporters at Orita-Sabo in the Olorunda Local Government Area, Adeleke appealed directly to President Bola Tinubu to address the concerns surrounding the state.
He alleged that security agencies had been compromised and accused former governor Adegboyega Oyetola of frustrating the release of funds meant for Osun State.
Adeleke also invoked the political crisis of 1983, warning that the state should not experience a repeat of the violence that followed the controversial outcome of the old Ondo State governorship election.
He said the events of that period eventually contributed to widespread unrest and the military takeover of the civilian government in December 1983.
“We will go out en masse and vote and defend our votes. I am repeating it. Don’t let what happened in 1983 repeat itself,” Adeleke said.
The governor also alleged that Oyetola had contributed to his administration’s difficulties and called on President Tinubu to intervene.
“Osun people and Accord Party have endorsed you as our presidential candidate. Why are we suffering? Why is our money being kept? Oyetola needs to be called to order,” he said.
