By Abasi Ita
The Cross River State Police Command has debunked claims of organ harvesting in Isong Inyang, Akamkpa Local Government Area, following a viral video that sparked public concern.
The Command said preliminary investigations revealed no evidence of organ trafficking.
According to the police, a report was received on February 13, 2026, about the discovery of eight corpses in an abandoned shed near Isong Inyang Junction. Officers were immediately deployed to the scene.
A 56 year old suspect, Sunday Reuben Ben, was arrested in connection with the incident. He reportedly told investigators that he previously worked as a mortician for Enghaut Company in Akamkpa, where he managed the remains of deceased staff and, unofficially, those of their relatives.
Police said that after the company ceased operations, staff members and families were invited to claim identified bodies. However, eight corpses that were not officially documented remained unclaimed.
The suspect allegedly moved the unclaimed bodies to a zinc shed in Isong Inyang after being directed to clear them from the former facility. The shed was later vandalised by unknown persons, leading to the exposure of the remains and the circulation of rumours about organ harvesting.
The Command confirmed that five of the bodies have been identified by relatives and are being retrieved, while efforts are ongoing to identify and evacuate the remaining three.
The police urged members of the public to disregard unverified reports and to channel credible information through the Calabar Control Room on 0705 335 5415 or the Complaint Response Unit lines on 08137083052 and 08134096900.
The Command reaffirmed its commitment to public safety and stated that investigations into the matter are ongoing.
