Wednesday, May 20, 2026
  • Login
Summit Post News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Africa
  • Opinion/Column
  • Business & Economy
  • Editorials
  • Business
  • Security & Crime
  • Religion
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Africa
  • Opinion/Column
  • Business & Economy
  • Editorials
  • Business
  • Security & Crime
  • Religion
No Result
View All Result
Summit Post
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Effurun Killing: IGP Orders Dismissal, Prosecution of Officers

Torkuma Gbor by Torkuma Gbor
April 29, 2026
in News, Uncategorized
0
Effurun Killing: IGP Orders Dismissal, Prosecution of Officers

By Abasi Ita

The Inspector General of Police, Olatunji Disu, has ordered the dismissal and criminal prosecution of police officers involved in the fatal shooting of a suspect in Effurun, Delta State.

The decision followed the conclusion of disciplinary proceedings into the April 26, 2026 incident in which 28 year old Mene Ogidi lost his life during a police operation.

ADVERTISEMENT

In a statement issued on Wednesday by the Force Public Relations Officer, Deputy Commissioner of Police Anthony Okon Placid, the Nigeria Police Force said all officers connected to the incident were immediately withdrawn from the Delta State Command and transferred to Force Headquarters in Abuja for disciplinary action.

The statement noted that the Force Disciplinary Committee found that the principal officer involved, Assistant Superintendent of Police Nuhu Usman, violated Force Order 237 and other extant regulations governing the use of firearms.

It added that the committee established that the officer acted unlawfully and unprofessionally, describing his conduct as a breach of the oath to protect life and uphold the law.

Following the findings, the committee recommended the immediate dismissal of Usman and other officers found culpable. The recommendation has since been approved by the Inspector General of Police and forwarded to the Police Service Commission for ratification.

The police further stated that upon completion of administrative procedures, the affected officers would be handed over to the appropriate judicial authorities for prosecution.

Reaffirming its stance on discipline and accountability, the Force stressed that no officer has the right to take a life outside the provisions of the law, warning that any violation of operational guidelines would attract both disciplinary and legal consequences.

The statement also assured that the process would be handled transparently to ensure justice is not only served but seen to be served.

The Force extended condolences to the family of the deceased and assured that the matter would not be treated lightly.

The incident had sparked public outrage after a viral video showed Ogidi being shot during a police operation in Effurun. Police had earlier said he was arrested while allegedly attempting to transport a parcel suspected to contain a firearm, but admitted that the officer in charge discharged his weapon in violation of established procedures.

The development has further intensified scrutiny of police conduct in Nigeria, as authorities continue to emphasise professionalism, accountability and respect for the rule of law in law enforcement operations.

Torkuma Gbor

Torkuma Gbor

About us

  • Home
    • Blog
  • Privacy Policy
  • About us
  • Checkout
  • Contact us
  • Cookie Policy (EU)
  • Login/Register
  • My account
  • Home
  • About us
    • Privacy Policy
  • Contact us
  • News
  • Politics
    • Education News
  • Business
  • Africa
    • International
  • Security & Crime
  • Religion
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion/Column
  • Energy Reports
  • Entertainment
  • Diplomatic News
  • Afro News
  • World
  • Food
  • FCT Watch
  • Health
  • Mobile
  • Fashion
  • Travel
  • Legal Matters
  • Gadget
  • Health & Fitness
  • Aviation Reports
  • World
  • Afro News
  • GUEST COLUMNIST
  • Diplomatic News
  • Energy Reports
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion/Column
  • Religion
  • International
  • Security & Crime
  • Cookie Policy (EU)
  • Contact us
  • About us
  • FG Issues 3.5 million Passports, Saves ₦1bn Annually Through Reforms
  • North West APC Youth League Disowns Kebbi ‘Coalition’, Reaffirms Support for Bagudu

SUMMIT POST NEWS (www.summitpostnews.com) is an Online news medium, powered by Highland Media Ltd. We publish a wide range of content, including Politics, Business, Sports and Entertainment on and about Nigeria, Africa and beyond. Follow us on social media for all the latest news and analysis. Contact us: WhatsApp & Calls ‪+234-803-209-6072‬, ‪+234-705-252-6124‬: Email: summitpostnigeria@gmail.com

  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • About us
  • Checkout
  • Contact us
  • Cookie Policy (EU)
  • Login/Register
  • My account
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Africa
  • Security & Crime
  • Religion
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion/Column
  • Energy Reports
  • Entertainment
  • Diplomatic News
  • Afro News
  • World
  • Food
  • FCT Watch
  • Health
  • Mobile
  • Fashion
  • Travel
  • Legal Matters
  • Gadget
  • Health & Fitness
  • Aviation Reports
  • World
  • Afro News
  • GUEST COLUMNIST
  • Diplomatic News
  • Energy Reports
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion/Column
  • Religion
  • International
  • Security & Crime
  • Cookie Policy (EU)
  • Contact us
  • About us
  • FG Issues 3.5 million Passports, Saves ₦1bn Annually Through Reforms
  • North West APC Youth League Disowns Kebbi ‘Coalition’, Reaffirms Support for Bagudu

© 2025 Summitpost - Summit Post News - more than just news

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Africa
  • Opinion/Column
  • Business & Economy
  • Editorials
  • Business
  • Security & Crime
  • Religion

© 2025 Summitpost - Summit Post News - more than just news

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In