Saturday, August 22, 2026
  • Login
Summit Post News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Africa
  • Opinion/Column
  • Business & Economy
  • Editorials
  • Business
  • Security & Crime
  • Religion
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Africa
  • Opinion/Column
  • Business & Economy
  • Editorials
  • Business
  • Security & Crime
  • Religion
No Result
View All Result
Summit Post
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Nigerian Govt Destroys 2,809 Illicit Arms, Vows Tougher Action Against Traffickers

News Desk by News Desk
July 30, 2026
in News
0
Nigerian Govt Destroys 2,809 Illicit Arms, Vows Tougher Action Against Traffickers

The Federal Government on Thursday destroyed 2,809 illicit, decommissioned and unserviceable small arms and light weapons.

The federal government also reaffirmed its resolve to stem the proliferation of illegal weapons fueling insecurity across the country.

The destruction, carried out by the National Centre for the Control of Small Arms and Light Weapons, NCCSALW, in Abuja, brought the cumulative number of weapons destroyed by the centre to about 19,000.

ADVERTISEMENT

Speaking at the event, the National Security Adviser, NSA, Nuhu Ribadu, said the exercise demonstrated government’s commitment to transparency, accountability and national security.

Mr Ribadu was represented by the Administrator of the Presidential Amnesty Programme, Dr Dennis Otuaro.

He said terrorism, insurgency, banditry, kidnapping, communal clashes and other violent crimes were sustained by the widespread availability of illicit arms.

According to him, every weapon recovered and permanently destroyed represents a threat eliminated from society.

“It is important to emphasise that recovering weapons alone is not enough.

“Public, transparent and verifiable destruction guarantees that these recovered weapons can never again be used against any Nigerian,” he said.

Ribadu said his office, with President Bola Tinubu’s support has pursued an intelligence-led national security strategy anchored on stronger inter-agency collaboration, disruption of criminal financing networks, enhanced border security and renewed international partnerships.

He said the strategy, produced measurable gains by degrading terrorist capabilities and strengthening Nigeria’s security architecture.

The NSA urged Nigerians to support security agencies by reporting illegal possession, manufacture, trafficking and movement of arms.

He also called on traditional and religious leaders to promote peace, dialogue and voluntary disarmament within their communities.

Earlier, the Director-General of NCCSALW, retired DIG Johnson Kokumo, described the destruction exercise as a deliberate, transparent and irreversible step toward improving national security.

Kokumo said the destroyed weapons were either illicitly acquired or declared obsolete, decommissioned and unserviceable.

He said the proliferation of illicit small arms remained one of the major drivers of terrorism, banditry, kidnapping, communal clashes and other violent crimes across Nigeria.

According to him, more than 21,000 illicit, obsolete and unserviceable weapons have been recovered since the establishment of the centre.

He said over 16,000 weapons had been destroyed before Thursday’s exercise, while the latest destruction increased the total number permanently removed from circulation to about 19,000.

Mr Kokumo commended the Nigeria Police Force, the Armed Forces of Nigeria, the Department of State Services, the Nigeria Customs Service and other security agencies for supporting the recovery and release of weapons for destruction.

He said the exercise sent a strong message to illicit arms traffickers that recovered weapons would be permanently destroyed rather than returned to circulation.

News Desk

News Desk

About us

  • Home
    • Blog
  • Privacy Policy
  • About us
  • Checkout
  • Contact us
  • Cookie Policy (EU)
  • Login/Register
  • My account
  • Home
  • About us
    • Privacy Policy
  • Contact us
  • News
  • Politics
    • Education News
  • Business
  • Africa
    • International
  • Security & Crime
  • Religion
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion/Column
  • Energy Reports
  • Entertainment
  • Diplomatic News
  • Afro News
  • World
  • Food
  • FCT Watch
  • Health
  • Mobile
  • Fashion
  • Travel
  • Legal Matters
  • Gadget
  • Health & Fitness
  • Aviation Reports
  • World
  • Afro News
  • GUEST COLUMNIST
  • Diplomatic News
  • Energy Reports
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion/Column
  • Religion
  • International
  • Security & Crime
  • Cookie Policy (EU)
  • Contact us
  • About us
  • FG Issues 3.5 million Passports, Saves ₦1bn Annually Through Reforms
  • North West APC Youth League Disowns Kebbi ‘Coalition’, Reaffirms Support for Bagudu

SUMMIT POST NEWS (www.summitpostnews.com) is an Online news medium, powered by Highland Media Ltd. We publish a wide range of content, including Politics, Business, Sports and Entertainment on and about Nigeria, Africa and beyond. Follow us on social media for all the latest news and analysis. Contact us: WhatsApp & Calls ‪+234-803-209-6072‬, ‪+234-705-252-6124‬: Email: summitpostnigeria@gmail.com

  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • About us
  • Checkout
  • Contact us
  • Cookie Policy (EU)
  • Login/Register
  • My account
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Africa
  • Security & Crime
  • Religion
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion/Column
  • Energy Reports
  • Entertainment
  • Diplomatic News
  • Afro News
  • World
  • Food
  • FCT Watch
  • Health
  • Mobile
  • Fashion
  • Travel
  • Legal Matters
  • Gadget
  • Health & Fitness
  • Aviation Reports
  • World
  • Afro News
  • GUEST COLUMNIST
  • Diplomatic News
  • Energy Reports
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion/Column
  • Religion
  • International
  • Security & Crime
  • Cookie Policy (EU)
  • Contact us
  • About us
  • FG Issues 3.5 million Passports, Saves ₦1bn Annually Through Reforms
  • North West APC Youth League Disowns Kebbi ‘Coalition’, Reaffirms Support for Bagudu

© 2025 Summitpost - Summit Post News - more than just news

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Africa
  • Opinion/Column
  • Business & Economy
  • Editorials
  • Business
  • Security & Crime
  • Religion

© 2025 Summitpost - Summit Post News - more than just news

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In