Saturday, February 21, 2026
  • Login
Summit Post News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Africa
  • Opinion/Column
  • Business & Economy
  • Editorials
  • Business
  • Security & Crime
  • Religion
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Africa
  • Opinion/Column
  • Business & Economy
  • Editorials
  • Business
  • Security & Crime
  • Religion
No Result
View All Result
Summit Post
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Wike Hails Voters for Orderly Conduct in FCT Council Polls

Nathaniel Irobi by Nathaniel Irobi
February 21, 2026
in News
0
Wike Hails Voters for Orderly Conduct in FCT Council Polls

 

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Nyesom Wike, has described the FCT area councils’ election as “peaceful” and commended electorates for their conduct.

Mr Wike gave the commendation in Abuja on Saturday, after monitoring the election in Garki, Karu Chief’s Palace, Karshi, Kabusa and Keti.

ADVERTISEMENT

He observed the problem of voter apathy, particularly at the city centre, noting however, that voters’ turnout in satellite towns was quite impressive.

He said: “We thank God that everywhere is peaceful. The problem we have is low voter turnout, particularly in the city centre and that has always been the case.

“Going to some of the satellite towns like this polling unit in Keti, you can see that the turnout is quite impressive.

“The low turnout of voters is very unfortunate. What is important, however is that the election is peaceful – no violence, snatching of ballots papers or the ballot boxes-”

The minister commended security agencies for ensuring a hitch-free exercise saying, “they have done their job very well”.

“We used to have pockets of violence here and there, but in this case, we have not heard any case of reported violence in the polling units,” he said.

On the conduct of the election, the Minister commended the Independent Electoral Commission for a job well done so far..

Responding to Sen. Ireti Kingibe’s comments on national television, condemning the restricting of movement from Friday evening to Saturday evening, the Minister described the comments as very “unfortunate”.

Mrs Ireti, representing FCT at the Senate had on Friday, condemned Wike for what she described as “unlawful imposition of curfew” from 8: p.m. Friday to 6:00 p.m. Saturday.

The Minister clarified that he had not imposed a curfew but restricted movement with the approval of President Bola Tinubu, to ensure a hitch-free election.

“I never imposed curfew. If you read my statement, I said, with the approval of Mr President, movements would be restricted from 8: p.m Friday to 6:p.m today and this is not the first time.

“You can see that some people did not take time to read the statement and I don’t want to join issues with her. ‘

At the end of the election, when the results come out, then we will know,” he said.

Mr Wike urged residents to remain peaceful during the collation of results just the way they were peaceful during voting.
NAN

Tags: FCT Council PollsWike
Nathaniel Irobi

Nathaniel Irobi

About us

  • Home
    • Blog
  • Privacy Policy
  • About us
  • Checkout
  • Contact us
  • Cookie Policy (EU)
  • Login/Register
  • My account
  • Home
  • About us
    • Privacy Policy
  • Contact us
  • News
  • Politics
    • Education News
  • Business
  • Africa
    • International
  • Security & Crime
  • Religion
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion/Column
  • Energy Reports
  • Entertainment
  • Diplomatic News
  • Afro News
  • World
  • Food
  • FCT Watch
  • Health
  • Mobile
  • Fashion
  • Travel
  • Legal Matters
  • Gadget
  • Health & Fitness
  • Aviation Reports
  • World
  • Afro News
  • GUEST COLUMNIST
  • Diplomatic News
  • Energy Reports
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion/Column
  • Religion
  • International
  • Security & Crime
  • Cookie Policy (EU)
  • Contact us
  • About us
  • FG Issues 3.5 million Passports, Saves ₦1bn Annually Through Reforms
  • North West APC Youth League Disowns Kebbi ‘Coalition’, Reaffirms Support for Bagudu

SUMMIT POST NEWS (www.summitpostnews.com) is an Online news medium, powered by Highland Media Ltd. We publish a wide range of content, including Politics, Business, Sports and Entertainment on and about Nigeria, Africa and beyond. Follow us on social media for all the latest news and analysis. Contact us: WhatsApp & Calls ‪+234-803-209-6072‬, ‪+234-705-252-6124‬: Email: summitpostnigeria@gmail.com

  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • About us
  • Checkout
  • Contact us
  • Cookie Policy (EU)
  • Login/Register
  • My account
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Africa
  • Security & Crime
  • Religion
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion/Column
  • Energy Reports
  • Entertainment
  • Diplomatic News
  • Afro News
  • World
  • Food
  • FCT Watch
  • Health
  • Mobile
  • Fashion
  • Travel
  • Legal Matters
  • Gadget
  • Health & Fitness
  • Aviation Reports
  • World
  • Afro News
  • GUEST COLUMNIST
  • Diplomatic News
  • Energy Reports
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion/Column
  • Religion
  • International
  • Security & Crime
  • Cookie Policy (EU)
  • Contact us
  • About us
  • FG Issues 3.5 million Passports, Saves ₦1bn Annually Through Reforms
  • North West APC Youth League Disowns Kebbi ‘Coalition’, Reaffirms Support for Bagudu

© 2025 Summitpost - Summit Post News - more than just news

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Africa
  • Opinion/Column
  • Business & Economy
  • Editorials
  • Business
  • Security & Crime
  • Religion

© 2025 Summitpost - Summit Post News - more than just news

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In